BY KELLY ROCHE
A Mississauga man has a minor head injury and his family will be spending Christmas with friends after fire destroyed their Erindale home Thursday.
The man “was outside of the house upon arrival, so he didn’t need any rescue,” said Mississauga Fire Platoon Chief Al Hills.
Emergency crews responded to a call at 6:35 a.m. at 1583 Thompson St., east of Mississauga Rd. and south of Dundas St. W. after multiple 911 calls came in from neighbours.
The two-storey house was listed for sale but the majority of the family’s belongings had already been moved out.
“The fire went through the second-floor ceiling, into the rafters,” said Hills.
High winds taxed crews, however, the two-alarm blaze was knocked down by 7 a.m. and under control by 7:30 a.m., said Hills.
Peel paramedics treated the man for moderate head injuries and smoke inhalation.
The man’s injuries aren’t life threatening, said Peel Police Const. Bally Saini.
Police and fire investigators remained on scene at 11 a.m.
There’s no word yet on a damage estimate or cause of fire.
Hills is reminding residents to take safety precautions.
Being distracted in the kitchen is the number one cause of fires and the second leading cause of fatal fires in Ontario, according to Fire Chief Tim Beckett.
“These types of fires are preventable,” said Beckett in a statement.
“It’s everyone’s responsibility to pay attention when cooking, lighting candles or smoking indoors to prevent fires from starting and ensure that everyone has the opportunity for a safe and happy holiday.”