BY KELLY ROCHE
Mississauga has a go-to restaurant when booking a table for two, according to an online reservation service, and it’s at the Waterside Inn.
Port Credit’s Breakwater Restaurant is the only Mississauga entry on a list of Canada’s 50 most romantic restaurants released Thursday by OpenTable.
“It’s an absolute honour to be on that list,” said Breakwater’s general manager Toni Frankfurter.
She said she’s “a little surprised because at the end of the day, I always think ‘who really knows where the Waterside Inn is, or where the Breakwater Restaurant is?,’ and it’s very exciting to know that we’re there.”
Ontario dominated the list with 21 restaurants, followed by Alberta with 10, then Quebec and B.C. tying with six.
Seven provinces were represented, from Bishop’s in Vancouver to Raymonds in St. John’s.
Findings are based on more than 275,000 reviews from verified OpenTable users who dined at 1,600 Canadian restaurants between December 7, 2014 and December 6, 2015.
“Canadians love to celebrate Valentine’s Day with a special meal,” said Ziv Schierau of OpenTable Canada, adding restaurants were chosen by diners “for their ability to provide intimate dining experiences that offer scrumptious cuisine, a sensuous, rich ambiance and memories to cherish all year.”
Seven Toronto restaurants made the cut:
- Alo Restaurant
- Auberge du Pommier
- Blu Ristorante
- The Fifth Grill & Terrace
- Flor de Sal
- La Maquette
- Scaramouche Restaurant
Data collected by OpenTable also found:
- 45 per cent of Canadians wait until the week before Valentine’s Day to make reservations, with 10 per cent of Canadians booking on Feb. 14.
- More reservations were made for Feb. 14 than any other day in 2015.
- Canadians are increasingly using mobile devices to book a table. In 2015, 34 per cent of Valentine’s Day reservations in Canada were made through mobile devices, an 8 per cent increase over Feb. 14, 2014.
- 86 per cent of Valentine’s Day reservations were for a table for two.
- The most common cuisine booked on Feb. 14, 2015 was Italian, steakhouse and Canadian.