New year, new garbage routine.
Peel residents will be switching to bi-weekly, cart-based collection starting Monday, Jan. 4.
Garbage and organics will be collected one week and recycling and organics will be picked up the next.
Collection days may also change, and residents are reminded to check and download a personalized 2016 schedule.
What happens to the old bins? The old blue and grey boxes and green bins will be collected by the region in the spring. Residents wanting to get rid of them sooner can drop off old bins for free at any Community Recycling Centre (CRC) in Peel.
What if it’s too big or too small? After a three-month trial, residents may exchange carts starting in April, if size is an issue. A 30-day grace period ends May 1, when a $25 exchange fee kicks in.
How to reuse the old bins and boxes?
- Store pet food, bird seed, sand or walkway salt.
- Hold recyclables before putting them in your recycling cart.
- Use as a yard waste container starting in spring 2016. All repurposed containers must be in good condition and clearly labelled “Yard Waste” to be collected.
- Store items/supplies such as holiday decorations or linens.
Old garbage cans/containers
- Yard waste container, which must be in good condition and clearly labelled “Yard Waste” to be collected.
(Source: Region of Peel)
- Old garbage cans and containers won’t be picked up on designated collection dates — new carts must be used.
- Christmas tree pick up runs Monday, Jan. 11 to Friday, Jan. 22.
One thought on “WATCH: New garbage collection schedule in Peel starts Monday”
My Garbage collection is reduced for 50%
There fore. taxes to be reduced for 50%